Thursday 7 August 2014

Being a mum....a few things nobody told me....

....becoming a mum has seen many changes to my life, some incredibly fulfilling, some a little harder to accept.  Regardless it really is the most wonderfully, rewarding and exciting role I have ever undertaken.  However just when you think you have it all under control, sleep routine down pat, good systems in place they go through the next development stage and it can all be turned upside down.

I attended the parenting classes offered by the hospital, I kept my reading prior to birth to one book, I wanted to have a more organic, nurturing, make it up as I go approach.


But here a few things that nobody told me about being a mum.  I'm sure this list will grow over time.


  • I would not have clean hair every day.
  • That I would need to prepare to leave the house 27minutes prior to my desired time of arrival, simply because one of us will need a change of clothes, demand food, an unexpected nap or my personal favourite the fight to get into the car seat or pram.
  • That our home would resemble a holding cell or some minimalistic architectural style, with nothing left that can be thrown, pulled over, climbed up.  I'm even contemplating the removal of our dining table!! Seriously how many times a day do I need to drag littlelion off the table?!?!?
  • that nothing in the home would ever be in it's rightful place when I needed it, should it be a hairbrush, shoes, clothes I laid out earlier.  sometime you will pass them anything to simply pacify them.
  • That random people will approach your pram to ogle your child, at first I was proud to show littlelion off, then I was a little taken aback but now I say just embrace it.  It puts a big smile on their faces.
  • No one told me that I would never wee, poo or shower in private or in peace. 
  • Even though we had a no toy policy for the first 12 months you still end up with enough toys to open a small store.
  • That people would make assumptions about me as a mum.  If I had a dollar for the amount of times someone said 'Oh you are one of those mums' or they chortle and say 'Clearly you are a first time mum'.  Yeah I bloody well am and love it!!!
  • You have a sudden overwhelming appreciation for what your parents did for you. 
  • That you could happily waste 24 hours a day watching them.
  • That you thought you knew what love was before having your own child.  I never knew how much I could love.
  • That being a mum makes you reflect on your own life, the good and bad.
  • How much patience and tolerance I possess.  

Can you add any more to my list?  I'd love to hear a Dad's perspective, please share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment